A Fresh Start for T-TIP: Strategies for moving forward
Global Economics and Governance
Full Video Recording of the Event
This event addressed a number of crucial questions that remain open in the negotiations around T-TIP. Since these talks began in 2013 negotiators have already met eight times, and important progress has been made. However, a final document is still far away. This two-part event facilitated discussion of questions such as:
- Is TTIP too big for one bite? If so, what are sensible ways to divide the menu to ensure the overall success of the project?
- What mechanisms could help make each course balanced and that courses postponed for later negotiation will get addressed?
- Would it help or hurt for each side to declare its red-line subjects that simply cannot be addressed in the TTIP talks?
- What are practical means of achieving, even if gradually, regulatory convergence — given the formidable turf issues, given the different regulatory environments on both sides of the Atlantic and given the reality that there are few agreed methods for balancing the safety and convenience of consumers against the costs and anti-competitive effects of regulation?
- Will it help or hurt to publish negotiating drafts, complete with brackets, as talks proceed, giving interested publics more time to analyze the provisional agreements and register their support or opposition?
- A fresh start for T-Tip – Cecilia Malmström’s speech at the event.
- Bruegel interview with Malmström, Hufbauer and Sapir.
15.00 Welcome & Introduction
- Guntram Wolff and André Sapir, Bruegel
15.05-16.00& T-TIP Negotiations in a Changing Global Landscape
- Cecilia Malmström, EU Commissioner for Trade
- Anthony Gardner, US Ambassador to the EU
16.00-18.00 Panel discussion
- Carl B. Hamilton, Professor of International Economics, and former MP, Stockholm
- Gary C. Hufbauer, Reginald Jones Senior Fellow, Peterson Institute for International Economics, Washington, DC
- Bernard Hoekman, Professor, European University Institute, Florence
- Denis Redonnet, Head, Strategy Unit, DG Trade, European Commission
- André Sapir, Senior Fellow, Bruegel, and University Professor, Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Location & Contact