Mapping competitiveness with European data
Since competitiveness is at the heart of policy making at the Union level, the definition and availability of new indicators of competitiveness and assessment of data requirements needed to compute such indicators is an essential task. This is the topic of the Bruegel Blueprint Mapping competitiveness with European data. MAPCOMPETE, a support action for the […]
Since competitiveness is at the heart of policy making at the Union level, the definition and availability of new indicators of competitiveness and assessment of data requirements needed to compute such indicators is an essential task. This is the topic of the Bruegel Blueprint Mapping competitiveness with European data.
MAPCOMPETE, a support action for the European Commission carried out by a consortium of European research institutes (see www.mapcompete.eu), has been designed to address the challenges discussed above, with special reference to providing an assessment of data opportunities and requirements for the comparative analysis of competitiveness in European countries, both at the macro and the micro level.
This Blueprint picks up some of the main issues of the MAPCOMPETE project and provides an inventory and an assessment of the data related to the measurement of competitiveness in Europe. This Report, and the associated meta-database available at www.mapcompete.eu – which provides detailed information on data accessibility and computability of more than 150 indicators – can be a key handbook for a researcher interested in measuring competiveness, or for policymakers interested in the feasibility and in the quality of alternative competitiveness measures.
This Blueprint also identifies the opportunities emerging from recent progress made in scientific research and facilitated by different data providers who increasingly make their data available to research. Finally, this inventory allows us to identify the main issues that need to be addressed by policy makers in order to improve data accessibility for the economic analysis of competitiveness in Europe.
- Davide Castellani, Professor of Applied Economics at the University of Perugia and a research fellow of CIRCLE (Sweden) and LdA (Italy)
- Andreas Koch, Research Fellow at the Institute for Applied Economic Research – IAW (Germany)
- Isabel Grilo, Head of Unit B2 “Structural reforms, competitiveness and innovation”, DG ECFIN, European Commission
- Ani Todorova, Head of Unit, Unit C2 "National and Regional Accounts Production. Balance of Payments", Eurostat
- Chair: Guntram Wolff, Director of Bruegel
- Venue: Bruegel, Rue de la Charité 33, 1210 Brussels
- Time: Friday 6 March 2015, 12:30-14:30.
- Contact: Matilda Sevón, Events Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org
The MAPCOMPETE Project is funded by the European Commission.
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/bruegelo/public_html/wp-content/themes/bruegel/content.php on line 449