Bruegel is recruiting for the position of Head of Development responsible for all of Bruegel’s fundraising. Deadline for applications 20th of November CET
Call for a Head of Development
Deadline for application: 20th of November
Bruegel is recruiting for the position of Head of Development responsible for all of Bruegel’s fundraising. This includes attracting new corporate, state and institutional members, building and maintaining relations with international foundations and managing EU projects funding. We are looking for a highly skilled professional and experienced manager to join Bruegel’s executive management team that consists of the Director, the Deputy Director and the Head of Outreach and Governance.
The ability to sell our organisation on its core values would mean you should share those core values too: a belief in the ability to improve policy making through applied research; accountability to members, funders and the wider public; transparency in all dealings and a desire to contribute to the public good. A highly organised, innovative and inventive individual, you will need to supplement those talents with the ability to harness all the resources of Bruegel, the leading European think tank focusing on economics, in order to deliver the funds required for a growing organisation.
You will report to the Director and will lead on all development and fund-raising endeavours, soliciting new and ongoing sources of funding and you will guide an experienced team of development professionals. As a member of the executive management team, you will provide leadership for the entire organisation not only on development matters but you will lead the entire organisation in a collaborative manner together with the other members of executive management. You will also lead on a number of horizontal tasks and your role could be expanded. You will bring significant experience in cutting-edge management practices, operational leadership, financial management, database management and/or knowledge of legal processes.
Bruegel is a European think tank working in the field of international economics. Established in 2005, Bruegel is independent and non-doctrinal. Its mission is to improve the quality of economic policy with open and fact-based research, analysis and debate. We are committed to impartiality, openness and excellence. Bruegel’s membership includes EU Member State governments, international corporations and institutions. Bruegel has been repeatedly ranked in the top 5 international think-tanks in the Pennsylvania University rankings, and has been ranked the 2nd best think tank in international economics world-wide for the past few years.
- In charge of developing and implementing Bruegel’s fundraising strategy and partnership efforts;
- Lead the Bruegel development team in the implementation and continuous development of Bruegel fundraising and partnerships strategy, matching the needs and values of Bruegel;
- Responsible for the enhancement of Bruegel outreach image by being active and visible among different stakeholders (Corporations, EU officials, Foundations, government officials, civic and private organisations etc).
- Identify and meet prospective members and supporters in Brussels, Europe and around the world on a continuing basis with a particular focus on corporate and state members;
- Oversee the process of acquiring prospect members, the CRM database and the process of proposal writing;
- Liaising with relevant Bruegel fellows and non-research staff to deliver on the projects’ tasks, coordinating and sequencing the work of the project research team as well as that of the Bruegel Communications team for the research outputs publication and dissemination;
- Support the development of an annual budget which accurately reflects the financial condition of the organisation in the areas of fundraising and public relations;
- Represent Bruegel in international think tank fora
PROFILE AND SKILLS
- Master’s degree in management, marketing, business, economics or law;
- A minimum of 10 years working experience;
- Good knowledge about economics and the workings of the EU;
- A good understanding of different fundraising avenues through corporations, foundations, public institutions and EU public funding;
- Significant experience in fund raising, especially in relation to the corporate sector;
- Professional experience and wealth of contacts with large corporations and/or grant giving organisations;
- Capacity to listen, build trust, understand needs of potential partners and translate them into actionable proposals;
- Have the desire to get out of the office and build external relationships, and initiate prospects visits and fundraising calls.
- Creative thinking, innovative and open mindedness, with a very proactive, entrepreneurial personality;
- Ability to work in an international environment; good inter-personal and communication skills are essential; Ability to manage experienced professionals;
- Professional fluency in English, both written and oral and at least one more EU language; knowledge of more EU languages is an asset.
- Must embrace the mission of Bruegel and preserve its values, independence, excellence and transparency.
- Please consult www.bruegel.org for more information on our activities.
- To submit your application for this vacancy, please send your CV and your cover letter in English to email@example.com with subject: “Application: Head of Development”.
- Deadline for applications is 14th of November, interviews will take place in the second half of November.
- The candidate should ideally be able to start in January 2020.
- Due to the high number of applications usually received for Bruegel vacancies, only candidates short-listed for interviews will be contacted. Reception of applications will be acknowledged.
Bruegel aims to ensure that no application or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion, ethnic or national origins, gender, marital status, caring responsibilities, sexual orientation, disability or chronic illness.